I came across this cartoon and felt that this captured the essence of the conversation so far.
To avoid ambiguity, let me clarify that “Moderate Muslim” refers to people of Islamic faith who do not relate to the Jihadi sentiment and yet do precious little to denounce, deride and otherwise de-legitimize it.
In fact groups that purport to speak in the name of “enlightened and moderate Islam” often engage in verbal acrobatics to dress up Islam and attempt to stifle any examination of the Jihadi impulse. Nitwit Nastik had posted this excellent YouTube video in the comments section earlier. I’m re-posting it here. If you did not get a chance to check it out earlier, take a look at it now.
Here this Yunis dude is saying that:
- Less than 1% of muslims are violent crazed lunatics.
- Showing such violent outbursts tarnishes the balance 99%.
- The decision by US and UK media to not show the cartoons that lie at the heart of this mayhem is wise – so as to preserve ‘strategic engagement’ with “moderates”.
At no point however, does he take on the burden of explaining how a tiny minority could have the nerve to engage in such a scale of violent frenzy if they feared the censure of the balance 99%. And of course he completely side-steps Hitchens’ remark that this kind of violence was expressly supported by numerous mid-eastern governments.
This leads me to the following conclusions:
- The hard-core Islamists are not as tiny a minority as apologists claim.
- There is a wide segment of “Soft Jihadis” who sympathize with the “hard-core Jihadis” although they do not actually participate in their frenzied violence. This segment is probably wide enough to constitute a majority.
- The balance “moderate/enlightened/secular muslims” are content with simply burying their heads in the sand.
It is this last segment (or shall we call it remnant) that Yunis wants us to pander to and not alienate.
Evidently Yunis has not buried his head in the sand. It is safely tucked up a specific area of the anatomy where the sun don’t shine.